More Airbeam Work

We put everything we learned from the 5.5 psi test into the large Ascender rib airbeam. We pressured it up and it promptly burst at 3.2 psi. 0.2 psi more and we could have put this test series behind us.

It’s hard to tell if the failure was due to a structural problem or if the big rib we’ve burst, patched, stepped on and generally worn the heck out over the last year finally just gave up.

The higher pressure failures have tended to be at the sharp corners where the loads are focused. We cut out the old blown out corner and made it a seperate panel. This adds the number of panels we need to cutout and making the pattern more complex, but it lets us eliminate the corner seam. More testing tomorrow….

Inserting the airbeam inner liner.

Inserting the airbeam inner liner.

Pressure Testing

Pressure Testing
Always more sewing...

Always more sewing...

Comments are closed.